M.A.S.K. issue 8
From IDW Hasbro Wiki
|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|First published||July 19, 2017|
|Cover date||June 2017|
|Written by||Brandon Easton|
|Art by||Drew Moss|
|Colors by||Jordi Escuin|
|Letters by||Christa Meisner|
|Editorial assistant||David Mariotte|
M.A.S.K. encounters a new threat underground and not everyone is who they seem to be.
Characters in italic text appear only in news footage.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- To distract the giant monster, Zartan-as-Brad creates a hologram of the giant Transformer Omega Supreme. Omega fought Devastator in New York City during The Transformers: All Hail Megatron, so maybe Zartan's remembering him from then? Alternatively, M.A.S.K. may possess data collected during the Autobot-Skywatch alliance in the 2009-2011 ongoing Transformers series.
- Considering M.A.S.K.'s... shaky continuity before this, Zartan's IDW continuity backstory is presented surprisingly accurately — as related in G.I. Joe: Origins #17, he is a clone created by Cobra from one of their deceased agents using plasmid material. However, see "Errors", below.
Other Hasbro franchise references
- Matt has Gloria access the U.S. Geological Survey's database.
- Julio Lopez asks "when have clone troopers contributed to a happy ending?", presumably referring to Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith. He had previously referenced Return of the Jedi in M.A.S.K. #1.
- Zartan refers to himself as "Emil Zartan", and while that was the name of the man he was cloned from, the clone has always preferred to be referred to as just "Zartan", without any first name or honorifics, as shown in Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow #13.
- Zartan is shown to "elasticate" his arms in order to slip free of his handcuffs; previously, IDW Zartan has only been able to change his facial features and skin color, and has been unable to change his build or "shapeshift" other parts of his body.
- Solicited for release in June, this issue arrives a month late in the middle of July.
- Regular cover:
- Subscription cover A:
- Subscription cover B:
- Retailer incentive cover:
MASK 8 regcvr.jpg
MASK 8 subcvrA.jpg
MASK 8 subcvrB.jpg
MASK 8 cvrRI.jpg