Micronauts issue 11
|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|First published||April 12, 2017|
|Cover date||March 2017|
|Written by||Cullen Bunn & Jimmy Johnston|
|Art by||Max Dunbar|
|Colors by||Ander Zarate|
|Letters by||Tom B. Long|
|Assistant editor||David Mariotte|
The Micronauts track down Rhonda Conway, only to find her in grave danger.
At the house of her stepsiter Betty, Rhonda Conway gives her son Billy a bath before being called to the news to see her house has been broken into. Steven Klain lurks in the shadows confirming his theory was correct before he breaks down the door.
Hours prior, the Heliopolis is incapable of outrunning the swarm of New Acroyears much to the confusion of Oziron Rael and Phenolo-Phi as there exist safeguards in flight packs to prevent the high speeds from causing damage to organic components. This fact leads Biotron to conclude that these new Acroyears are so fast simply because they lack organic components, their mechanical physiology immune to negative side effects of extreme speed, something confirmed by the Helmet. The hostiles soon board the ship with Oz ordering Phi, Biotron, and Acroyear to defend the engines while he and Larissa defend Microtron. However the fight ultimately proves a numbers game as not even Acroyear's Weeble is enough to halt their advance. Under the advice of the Helmet, Oz enacts his backup plan. After all technology (including Biotron and Microtron) has been shut off, Oz pulls the rather risky move of activating an EMP (while flying a ship) to disable all the Acroyears. The move works however and once the mechanical teammates are back online, the group begins to repair the engines.
At Betty's house, Klain continues to hold Rhonda's family hostage in spite of Betty's defiance. Biotron meanwhile is observing the situation via the camera in the television (something he marvels at). Though unable to hear what is transpiring within, the video feed is enough for the incensed Acroyear to draw a conclusion. Inside the house, Klain is becoming even more aggressive in his methods and resorts to physical violence before being knocked unconscious by a perfectly aimed Weeble. The Micronauts makes themselves known at this point and Oz requests to speak to Rhonda.
At the table, Oz speaks for the Micronauts as he and Rhoda compare notes (while Betty is peeved about the damage to her house). Oz proposes a mutual arrangement with Rhoda that they can protect her from the military and she can give them knowledge about Earth. Though Rhonda and Betty aren't exactly eager at the prospect of becoming nomads, they realize they have no choice but to join the Micronauts in their travels.
Characters in italic text appear only in news footage.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
|Micronauts||Hasbro Universe inhabitants||Microspace inhabitants|
"Hold off Acroyear. We aren't going to kill that man. There is a child in the room."
"Then the child needs to leave."
- —Ozrion and Acroyear debate killing Klain.
- Billy is aware of G.I. Joe. He's also wearing Optimus Prime pyjamas (lucky). Nice to see both Joes and Autobots are doing okay with the common citizen.
- Baron Karza is building up an invasion force in preparation for the sequel series Micronauts: Wrath of Karza.
- It's likely that the Micronauts' guest appearance in Revolutionaries #2 takes place after the Micronauts repair their engines but before they track down Rhonda.
- You hardly need us to tell you that Microtron saying "Happy Birthday" upon awakening is a reference to Frosty the Snowman who said the phrase whenever his magic hat was placed upon his head.
- Originally solicited for release in March, this issue arrives a month late in the middle of April, continuing IDW's series of ongoing delays.
- Betty's dress is dark purple in the front and light pink in the back but in the few panels before Klain pulls out his knife, the front is light pink.
- Regular cover:
- Subscription cover A:
- Subscription cover B:
- Subscription cover C:
- Retailer incentive cover: