Micronauts issue 2
|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|First published||May 18, 2016|
|Written by||Cullen Bunn|
|Line-art by||Max Dunbar|
|Colors by||David Garcia Cruz|
|Letters by||Tom B. Long|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
As Valtricos research station explodes, the Micronauts plummet from orbit, with the Phobos units that attacked them in pursuit. With the Heliopolis damaged by the explosion, Microtron is unable to catch them, so Larissa projects a force field to protect them as they enter the planet's atmosphere. After a rough impact, Acroyear finishes off the last of the Phobos units. The Heliopolis, meanwhile, has crash-landed, and Microtron reports that they will need additional supplies in order to enact repairs, so the group heads out towards a nearby settlement atop Biotron's vehicular mode, leaving Phen behind to watch the ship. En route, Larissa explains that she was as unaware as the rest of the crew that Valtricos did have medical supplies.
Having arrived at the settlement, Oz and the crew begin to source replacement parts, but are interrupted when a large cylinder drops from the sky and buries itself in the ground. Biotron explains that with the security breach, the research station has begun an automated testing of a biological warfare agent, and the cylinder begins to arm. At Oz's suggestion, Larissa uses her force fields to load the cylinder into Biotron's empty cockpit, where it harmlessly detonates. Oz suggests they take a "discount" on the spare parts in return for saving the villagers lives, but before the Micronauts can leave, Phen arrives with a warning: a swarm of Ministry of Defense Acroyears, from the blockade above, has arrived!
The Micronauts engage, hoping to protect the defenseless villagers, although Oz is unable to get aboard Biotron thanks to the lingering biological agent. It isn't long before the swarm begin to overpower them, but in nick of time, a squadron of Ministry of Science Space Gliders descend. They quickly defeat the Acroyears, but then force the Micronauts to surrender. With the group at gunpoint, Oz hears a familiar voice turns to see the Ministry's leader: Baron Daegon!
Featured characters[edit | edit source]
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
|Micronauts||Ministry of Science||Ministry of Defense||Other|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
"A discount? Are you telling me you want a reward for saving these people? Where's all that self-righteousness now?"
"Hey—I'm still plenty self-righteous. But I'm not made of money."
- —Larissa calls out Oz.
"Speaking of dents! I don't know about you, captain, but I say we forget about repairing the ship. Let's just settle down in some nice, secluded cave on this world."
- —Microtron is tired of getting manhandled by bad guys.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Micronauts references[edit | edit source]
- The Phobos units sport an interpretation of the original toy's 'evil' face after being drawn with the goofier reverse face at the end of last issue.
- Biotron enerchanges into a treaded vehicle, loosely based on one of his original toy's alternate configurations.
- The Ministries' Acroyears and Space Gliders are both based more closely on the original Micronauts figures than "our" Acroyear and Phenolo-Phi.
- Baron Daegon is based on the Force Commander Micronauts toy.
Other notes[edit | edit source]
- This issue uses the spelling "Daigon", but this will consistent be replaced with "Daegon" from issue #5 onwards. We're opting to use the 'updated' version.
Covers (6)[edit | edit source]
- Regular cover: The Micronauts escape a dog, by J.H. Williams III.
- Subscription cover A: Acroyear faces Biotron, by David Baldeón and David Garcia Cruz.
- Subscription cover B: Acroyear action figure, by Adam Riches.
- Subscription cover C: Photograph of the Biotron and Microtron toys, by Jack Rivera.
- Retailer incentive cover A: Acroyear, Biotron, and Microtron, by Pat Broderick.
- Retailer incentive cover B: Baron Karza reaches for Acroyear, by J.K. Woodward.