|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|Published in||Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook #1|
|First published||June 7, 2017|
|Written by||Sina Grace|
|Art by||Robert Atkins|
|Colors by||Jorge Sutil|
|Letters by||Shawn Lee|
|Editor||David Mariotte and David Hedgecock|
Before he became a member of M.A.S.K., Julio Lopez has a run in with Rock 'n Roll!
At Venice Beach, Rock 'n Roll watches the Cold Crawlers perform with interest. As he moves closer to the stage to get a better look at their instruments, however, he notices a pair of guys going though the band's van that don't seem to be roadies. As he approaches them, the two thieves take off running towards the nearby skatepark and Rock gives chase, borrowing a skateboard from a kid one of the thieves ran into to better chase the other. As the thief attempts to cut through Muscle Beach, Rock calls out to a woman lifting weights to give him a hand which she lends by clothes-lining the robber with a barbell, allowing Rock to get the jump on him!
Once the two would-be thieves are in police custody, Rock meets with Cold Crawlers lead singer Julio Lopez who thanks him for his help. Rock, however, is more disappointed that in stopping them he made them drop the band's Marshall amps, causing Julio to ask if Rock plays. Though he still tries to when he can, certain other matters keep Rock from really dedicating himself to his music, something Julio can relate to given how he's been trying to juggle his band with med school. Thanking him again for his help, Julio expresses hope that he and Rock will run into each other again on the road someday, something Rock happily agrees with.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- This issue takes place several years before Julio Lopez became a member of M.A.S.K.. He's still with his band the Cold Crawlers here, who were mentioned in his profile, but has also not yet flunked out of med school due to him having trouble balancing his band with his schoolwork.
- The story takes place at the Venice Beach boardwalk and features scenes at the nearby skatepark and Muscle Beach.
- The real world instruments/equipment referenced in this story include the Gibson Flying V, the Dean ML, and Marshall amps.
- Rock claims he's going up to the stage to see if one of the members of the Cold Crawlers is using the rather distinctly shaped Gibson Flying V but from what we can see of the band in the previous panel, none of their guitars remotely resemble a Flying V.
- As part of the first issue of the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook, this story was leaked onto the Apple iBooks store on May 31, 2017, a week ahead of its intended release date of June 7. However, if you'd just waited a few days until June 3, you could have also read this story for free as all four pages of it were included in the Sourcebook's extended preview. Whoops?