The Origin of V.E.N.O.M. Part 1
From IDW Hasbro WikiJump to navigationJump to search
|"The Origin of V.E.N.O.M. Part 1"|
|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|First published||May 17, 2017|
|Cover date||April 2017|
|Written by||Brandon Easton|
|Art by||Juan Samu|
|Colors by||Jordi Escuin|
|Letters by||Gilberto Lazcano|
|Editorial assistant||David Mariotte|
Before Matt Trakker can plan for the future of M.A.S.K., he must look into the past of V.E.N.O.M.
Characters in italic text appear only in flashbacks or on computer screens.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- The backstories for the Vanessa Warfield and Sly Rax were first hinted at in the Revolution trading cards given away through Humble Bundle. The info on the cards was later expanded into full profiles printed in the M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 and Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook.
- Dr. Mindbender returns to M.A.S.K. after his appearance in the Revolution one-shot.
- Dr. Mindbender's computer displays images from Revolution #0 and ROM: Revolution, showing Aaron Grundy testing the Axiom suit, Snake Eyes and Agent Helix fighting Cobra-allied Arashikage, the Heliopolis flying next to a Dire Wraith-Enerchanged Baron Karza, and Megatron during the Decepticon invasion of New York City.
- The issue ends with what appears to be a flashback to Bruno's accident, with the Rhino set on fire. This explains why the Rhino Bruno drives in the post-Revolution M.A.S.K. issues appears different than the one that appeared in the event.
Other Hasbro franchise references
- Christopher Lavigne, the military police officer who arrests Sly Rax, is the real identity of the G.I. Joe MP Law, making his IDW debut with this issue. Sadly, his German Shepard, Order, is nowhere to be seen.
- Unlike his original counterpart, the IDW incarnation is a lieutenant rather than a corporal.
- Vanessa Warfield is a fan of Black Sabbath while Sly Rax is a fan of Johnny Drama of Entourage.
- Dr. Mindbender is once again referred to as "Dr. Bender" rather than "Dr. Singh".
- Rax's sunglasses frequently change between having a bridge between two lenses or not.
- Bruno's cybernetics have once again been flipped to the right side of his face.
- Solicited for release in April, this issue arrives a month late in May.
- Regular cover:
- Subscription cover A: The M.A.S.K. team, by Alex Milne and Josh Perez.
- Subscription cover B:
- Retailer incentive cover:
- MASK 6 regcvr.jpg
- MASK 6 subcvrA.jpg