Reinforcements, Part 2
Oh. Heroes fighting one another. How original.
|"Reinforcements, Part 2"|
|Publisher||IDW Publishing, Ted Adams|
|First published||December 28, 2016|
|Cover date||December 2016|
|Written by||Chris Ryall and Christos Gage|
|Colors by||Alessandra Alexakis|
|Letters by||Shawn Lee|
|Editorial assistant||David Mariotte|
Rom fights to protect Camilla from his comrades.
The arrival of Orphion and Livia awakens mixed feelings within Rom. Though happy to see his old friends and receive reinforcements, he cannot stand by and let them execute Camilla Byers. Their eagerness to do so however causes a disturbing theory. Are they truly his friends or Wraiths in their form? Adjusting his Neutralizer to paralyze Camilla, Rom tries to reason with them only to be attacked for his weakness. The Wraith incubating within Camilla however takes this opportunity to eject itself and possess a nearby soldier assuming the form of a Wraith Hawk.
As Livia and Rom fight, Camilla warns them of the Wraith's ejection and Livia promptly amputates her infected arm. The act comes too late however for the Wraith Hawk comes swooping down from the sky intending to slay the weakened Space Knights. But the Knights are not as weak as the Hawk believes, having held back in case their opponents turned out to be genuine Space Knights, something the Hawk has now confirmed while giving them a new target to focus on. Deciding for the better part of valour, the Hawk takes flight deciding to warn its fellows about Rom's reinforcements using magic to shield itself. Watching from the sidelines and exchanging one sided banter with Camilla, Orphion is impressed by her bravery and determination in fighting the Wraiths.
Across the country in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Darby Mason is now living with her paternal grandmother. Though it begins as a nice, quiet life, Darby is soon struck by another panic attack upon the suggestion of walking outside. Back on the West Coast, Beach Head and Grunt stock up on weapons to begin their hunt of Rom.
Recalling the maneuver they performed together on Taurus-6, Rom and Livia are able to slay the Wraith Hawk by combining their attacks. The moment is short lived as Orphion is seemingly preparing to execute Camilla. Though Rom readies to attack his commander, Orphion instead expunges the Wraith out of the human, knocking her unconscious before stating the true reason he and Livia have tracked Rom down...the destruction of the Earth itself.
At the lighthouse, D'rge and Dubosky discuss the arrival of the new Knights. Though Dubosky is worried, D'rge is unconcerned knowing that she will soon awaken and that the Dire Wraiths far outnumber the Space Knights as a Wraith-like shadow watches them.
Characters in italic text appear only in flashbacks.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
|Space Knights||Dire Wraiths||Humans|
"The Wraiths have overrun this planet. It cannot be saved. For the good of the rest of the universe, it is decreed...Earth must be destroyed."
- —Orphion makes a reasonable...WHAT!?
- Darby Mason left Rom and Camilla Byers in issue #4.
- Dr. Shen referenced Darby's grandparents also in issue #4.
- Darby's grandmother says she watched "Ron" fight giant robots on television, likely referring to the events of Revolution. Precisely which event isn't clear because none of the story was broadcast on television but it's probably the fight in Portland.
- The previous issue established a past romantic relationship between Rom and Livia, and in this issue Rom appeals to Livia to listen to him on the grounds of said history. This would be fleshed out in greater detail in the 2017 ROM Annual.
- The Earth Defense Command was established in Revolution to have been dissolved and integrated into G.I. Joe. It goes unexplained why the Dubosky Wraith is still wearing his E.D.C. uniform.
- Pawtucket is the location of Hasbro's headquarters.
- D'rge quotes "My name is legion, for we are many." from the New Testament.
- Regular cover: Rom vs. Orphion by Zach Howard.
- Subscription cover A: Rom descends through Earth's atmosphere by Joe Eisma.
- Subscription cover B: Rom flies past a space station by Alex Milne.
- Subscription cover C: Rom waist deep in Wraiths by Andy Suriano.
- Retailer incentive cover: Rom flies through space by Pat Broderick.